No. 405 Squadron
Motto: IDUCIMUS - "We Lead"
The motto indicates that this was the first RCAF bomber squadron formed overseas and the only RCAF Pathfinder Squadron. No. 405 Squadron was formed at Driffield, Yorkshire, on April 23, 1941, and flew the RCAF's first bombing operation ten weeks later on June 12th and 13th. If flew Wellingtons until April 1942, and then converted to Halifaxs, becoming operational with the latter in time to take part in the historic 1,000-bomber raid on Colonge. Late in October 1942, the squadron was loaned to Coastal Command to strengthen our air defence of the Bay of Biscay at the time of the North African landings. Returning to Bomber Command at the beginning of March, 1943, No. 405 flew with No. 6 (RCAF) Group a few weeks before being selected for No. 8 (Pathfinder) Group with which it served until the end of the war. Through the last 20 months of the bomber offensive the squadron was equipped with Lancasters, and there is interest in noting that it later become the first unit to operate a Canadian-built Lancaster. This was KB700 (named The Ruhr Express), the first production Mk. X. The squadron was disbanded June 1945. During the war, 405 Sqn moved around among several bomber bases before returning to RCAF Station Greenwood in 1945. The squadron was disbanded at Greenwood on 5 September 1945. On 31 March 1950 it was re-designated No. 405 'Eagle' Squadron, a maritime patrol squadron based at Greenwood, N.S. The squadron flew the the Lancaster MP, Neptune and CP-107 Argus until 1981 when it was replaced with the 'Canadianized' version of the P-3C Orion the CP-140 Aurora.
No. 405 Maritime Patrol Sqn. 405 Sqn currently flies the CP-140 Aurora and CP-140 Arcturus out of 14 Wing, Greenwood, Nova Scotia.
Fortress Europe 1941-44, France & Germany Biscay Ports 1941-45, Ruhr 1941-45, Berlin 1941, German Ports 1941-45, Normandy 1944, Walcheren Rhine Biscay 1942-43